Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Ferry to Scotland

After a drive around Jamestown Island we took the free ferry to Scotland! I noted a lot of familiar sounding names on my map ... Kilmarnock and Irvinestown among them. The ferry leaves from the Settlement near the Riverside Exhibits.


Once across we took a short drive and came across an old plantation, before heading back over. Our evening temperature reading in the car was 83 degrees. Overall, our weather was fantastic. The previous evening we'd driven over to Virginia beach, taking the tunnel under the sea. I had planned spending Gracie's birthday at the beach as she really enjoys the water, however it wasn't really our kind of place. We ended up doing Yorktown and our drive this evening instead, then headed to cracker barrel for tea, stopping at Walmart on the way home to pick up cake.


Smiths Fort Plantation house

I plan to do a short project this month on slavery. Check out our home school blog to see how we get on!

1 comment:

flmom said...

I look forward to seeing that on your homeschool blog. We will be touching on the subject even further this coming school year. We read a book about Harriet Tubman this past school year - amazing woman! I really wish history had been presented in a fun and interesting manner when I was in public school. I feel like I missed out on so much and am just now beginning to learn and appreciate.